The Romance Of The Rails: A Sri Lankan Train Journey Through Time
Sri Lanka is a traveler's paradise, with its vibrant colors, rich culture, and warm hospitality. Located in the heart of the Indian Ocean, this tropical island boasts beautiful beaches, dense greenery, and diverse wildlife. Sri Lanka has much to offer, from historical sites and ancient temples to lively cities and peaceful villages, making it a popular tourist destination worldwide.
Besides its natural beauty, cultural heritage, and hospitality, Sri Lanka is renowned for its train journey. The Sri Lanka train journey is not just a means of transportation but a unique experience that allows travelers to marvel at breathtaking landscapes and engage with the locals. This article will demonstrate why trying out the Sri Lanka train journey is essential that everyone should have at least once in their lifetime.
An Overview Of The Sri Lanka Train Journey
The train that traverses the beautiful landscapes of Sri Lanka was born in the mid-1800s, during the period of British colonial rule. The construction of the railway system was a remarkable feat of engineering as it required the construction of bridges, tunnels, and other infrastructure across challenging terrain in Sri Lanka. The railway network kept growing despite several obstacles, including the start of World Wars I and II, and it eventually reached a length of 1,508 kilometers in the 1970s. Originally used to transport tea from plantations to the bustling city of Colombo for international export. Over time, the train has transformed into an essential mode of transportation for locals commuting to work. Despite its humble beginnings, the Sri Lankan train journey is now a bucket-list experience for adventurous travelers in Sri Lanka. However, due to the high demand for seats among locals, train booking in Sri Lanka as a tourist can be challenging.
In general, the train journey in Sri Lanka is one of the popular ways to experience the country's natural beauty. Travelers get to admire the gorgeous surroundings, rolling hills, rich tea plantations, and the allure of the Indian Ocean shoreline while riding the train. In Sri Lanka, using the train is also a budget-friendly option, making it a great choice for travelers looking to explore the country at a leisurely pace.
An overview of the Sri Lanka train journey
1. The Nine Arches of Ella: Capturing the Magic of Sri Lanka's Train Bridge
The old-fashioned train is renowned for its open windows and doors, which have become a hit with passengers who prefer to travel with the wind in their hair. Travelers now flock from all over the world to experience it, making it one of the most well-known things to do in Sri Lanka.
The Nine Arches of Ella, also known as the famous Sri Lanka train bridge, is a spectacular sight to behold. Visiting the Nine Arches of Ella is a must-see and enchanting attraction that should be included in every traveler's travel plan. The Nine Arches of Ella, made entirely of bricks and stones, without any steel or concrete support, create a stunning backdrop against the lush green hills and tea plantations of Ella. The rhythmic chugging of the train and the cool breeze on your face make this journey immersive and rejuvenating. From the charming town of Ella to the ancient city of Kandy, the Sri Lankan train journey offers a glimpse into the country's rich culture, history, and natural beauty. The sight of the train slowly approaching the bridge is a moment that travelers look forward to, and capturing it on camera is a must. Nine Arches of Ella is not only a beautiful bridge but also a cultural symbol of Sri Lanka, showcasing the country's rich heritage and stunning natural beauty. The Nine Arches of Ella is a journey that will leave an indelible mark on anyone, regardless of whether you're a train lover, a photographer, or just someone who craves a distinctive travel experience. It's an unforgettable experience that captures the enchanting charm of Sri Lanka's iconic train bridge.
Train on the Nine Arch Bridge in Sri Lanka
2. Train Booking Sri Lanka
If you're looking for a truly breathtaking train journey, look no further than the train ride from Kandy to Ella in Sri Lanka. This route will take you on a seven-hour ride through breathtaking landscapes, including hills, mountains, tea plantations, and waterfalls. The ever-changing scenery will make you feel like you're traversing through a surreal painting. Besides the stunning views, you'll have the chance to engage with locals, savor delicious cuisine, and immerse yourself in the vibrant Sri Lankan culture. This is a must-do journey for any traveler, and with proper train booking in Sri Lanka, this beautiful country will surely provide you with an experience you will cherish forever.
Traveling by train in Sri Lanka is a worthy experience with numerous scenic routes and comfortable carriages. If travelers need support accessing timetables, fares, and booking tickets online, the Sri Lanka Immigration Services website can help. It's important to book tickets in advance, especially if you plan to travel during high season, as seats can sell out quickly.
Capturing moments on the Sri Lanka train journey
3. Train Ticket Prices In Sri Lanka
Embarking on the famous Kandy to Ella train journey is a must-do for any traveler visiting Sri Lanka. The train runs three times a day, but to fully appreciate the magnificent views along the way. Train ticket prices in Sri Lanka vary based on the class of travel, with the starting fare for the Kandy to Ella journey being around 2.50 USD / 400 LKR and increasing for higher classes. Visitors can buy train tickets from Kandy to Ella in two ways: in advance online from a travel agent, or at the station. However, it is better to purchase your tickets online to make things easier.
In addition, Sri Lanka railways have divided its rail into 3 main classes: first, second, and third. First class is the most comfortable option, with air-conditioned cabins and reserved seating. Second-class is also comfortable, with open windows and reserved seating. Third-class is the most budget-friendly option, with open windows and unreserved seating. These cabins of this class can get crowded, so travelers should be prepared for a more intimate experience. The standard of service offered by the professional rail authority likewise improves as class levels grow.
Embarking on the famous Kandy to Ella train journey
In conclusion, the Sri Lanka train journey is a scenic adventure and a safe and reliable mode of transportation. Beginning your journey on the Sri Lanka train may be an experience that any traveler to the country should try. So, plan your trip to Sri Lanka for a serene vacation experience in this gorgeous land! Sri Lanka Immigration Services is happy to assist you when planning your trips to experience the Sri Lanka train journey.
- Start Your Family Holiday To Sri Lanka With Top 5 Amazing Places
- Top Things To Do In Galle When Traveling To Sri Lanka
- The Vibrant and Festive Poson Poya Festival in Sri Lanka
- Best Restaurants In Colombo That Every Tourist Must Visit
- Embark On An Adventure In Kandy Sri Lanka Where Enigma Awaits
- The Significance Of Sri Lanka Languages In Building A Harmonious Society
- A Complete Guide Of Ambuluwawa Tower In Sri Lanka
- Understanding Colombo's Weather Patterns: Hot or Humid?
- Tuk Tuk Adventure in Sri Lanka: Riding with the Wind
- Sri Lanka Traditional Dress: A Window into The Rich Heritage
- Sri Lanka Travel Places: Highlights & The 8 Top Best Destinations
- Dambulla Sri Lanka - Explore The Rich Cultural Heritage
- Top 6 Things To Do In Ella Sri Lanka That You Should Add To Your Trip
- Nuwara Eliya Sri Lanka - A Perfect Trip To Unwind
- Sigiriya Sri Lanka - Masterpiece Lion Fortress In The Middle Of The Jungle
- The Best Hotels In Sri Lanka Available Across All Price Ranges
- A Guide To The Best Sri Lanka Money Exchange Options For Maximizing Value
- Escape to Paradise: Your Guide to Traveling from the UK to Sri Lanka
- Uncover the Beauty of Sri Lanka: A Guide to Traveling from India
- Stay Up-to-Date: A Guide to Sri Lanka's Latest Travel Restriction
- Discover the Best Time to Visit Sri Lanka: A Guide to the Weather
- Top 5 Most Beautiful Beaches In Sri Lanka For Your Vacation
- Top 10 Tourist Attractions In Sri Lanka Worth Visiting For International Travelers
- The Most Beautiful Places In Sri Lanka For A One Day Trip
- Essential things to know before traveling to Sri Lanka
- Check Out 7 Star Hotels in Sri Lanka For Your Bucket List
- The Best Travel Guide For Sri Lanka For First-Time Tourists
- Transit visa in Sri Lanka
- Travel to Sri Lanka without PCR tests
- The best time to visit Sri Lanka
- Top 5 Best Tourist Places In Sri Lanka For Your Trip
- An old friend in Sri Lanka is missing you on Friendship day
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- Happy Pongal Day 2020
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Diwali - the festival of lights
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- SLTDA Training for Tuk Drivers and Homestay Operators in Ella
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- Top 15 famous Souvenirs and Gifts to pick in Sri Lanka (Part 1)
- 10 Sri Lankan foods that you are unable to forget – Part 2
- 300 Cheaper eVisa on Easter Day!
- 10 Sri Lankan foods are unable to forget – Part 1
- Sri Lanka at a Glance
- 10 Good Reasons to Visit Sri Lanka
- Horse Races & Carnivals in Nuwara Eliya - April 2016
- Sri Lankan Public Holidays 2016
- First Safari Park in Sri Lanka opens tomorrow
- A Would-Be Wi-Fi Paradise
- After success in Indonesia, ZEN Rooms expands to Sri Lanka and three other countries
- SL named top tourist destination for 2016
HOW CAN WE HELP?
NEED HELP 24/7
How it works ?
APPLY WITH CONFIDENCE