Sri Lanka Travel Places: Highlights & The 8 Top Best Destinations
Sri Lanka is a wonderful tourist destination with a variety of locations to see. This island offers visitors a staggering variety of habitats and tourist sites to explore and experience. It is situated in the Indian Ocean off the coast of India.
Take a journey to some of the best Sri Lanka travel places, and you might find it tough to return home. Discover the finest romantic encounters in Sri Lanka, including breathtaking locations and well-known tourist destinations, by reading on.
Top 8 best Sri Lanka travel places for tourists
1. Adam’s Peak
Adam's Peak, a 7,359-foot-tall peak in Sri Lanka, is one of the most well-known pilgrimage destinations in the Indian subcontinent and is frequently visited by followers of practically all major religions. Aside from the lore associated with the sacred location, Adam's Peak provides breathtaking sunrise views.
Adam's Peak is one of the must-see attractions on a trip to Sri Lanka since it is a place of significant religious significance, offers a reasonable challenge for experienced hikers, and has stunning beauty all around.
What to know about pilgrimage in Adam’s Peak?
Adam's Peak is a well-known destination for pilgrims because of its significance in religion. At the site of the holy footprint is a temple where visitors can worship and observe Buddhist rituals. When a pilgrim reaches the top of the trek, a huge bell at the temple is frequently rung. The Sinhalese New Year, which often occurs in April, and Poya, or the full moon days, are the two most popular seasons for pilgrimages.
Adam's Peak is a well-known destination for pilgrims
Sigiriya, which UNESCO designated as a world heritage site, is a beautiful illustration of the prehistoric town layout. Perhaps Sri Lanka's most famous historical location and an important Cultural Triangle landmark is Sigiriya.
Where is Sigiriya located?
It is situated centrally in the Matale district, close to Dambulla town.
What to do in Sigiriya?
Visitors interested in learning more about the history of the place can visit the Sigiriya Museum, which is located at the base of the rock.
Pidurangala, another intriguing archaeological site nearby, is home to the ruins of a network of cave temples. Beautiful views of Sigiriya Rock can be seen by climbing to the summit of Pidurangala Rock.
Visit Sigiriya to discover the splendor, power, and elegance of Sri Lanka's former kingdoms.
Sigiriya Rock is the most famous historical location in Sri Lanka
3. Udawalawe National Park
The Udawalawe reservoir, which was constructed on the Walawe River, gives the park its name. The national park received the animals that were relocated as a result of the development. It was created in 1972, making it one of Sri Lanka's first national parks.
Farmers used to use shifting cultivation in the region that this national park now occupies, but they were later evicted. Water birds and Sri Lankan elephants are particularly well-known residents of this national park in Sri Lanka. There are close to 600 Sri Lankan elephants in the park, and you can locate herds of more than 50 of them here.
Visitors can catch a glimpse of the past by traveling to Anuradhapura, one of the nation's ancient capitals and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You're not only touring ruins in this location; there is a bustling, contemporary community right next to an ancient one. It is one of the oldest continually inhabited places on Earth, according to the present population (starting in the 4th century, BCE).
The ruins are spectacular, with several statues, ponds, temples, and other buildings in disrepair. There are also more contemporary buildings, and the temple is still a bustling center of devotion. A very old tree serves as the complex's focal point. According to some estimates, the Sri Maha Bodhi is the oldest alive tree ever planted by a person.
Looking for the top tourist destinations in Sri Lanka? Enjoy the breathtaking views of a magnificent breach in the southern mountain wall as you pass through Ella Gap. This hill station is nothing short of stunning. It is located in the heart of a gorgeous rural area with little vegetable plots, tea plantations on the hill slopes, and woods on the tops. Unquestionably, Ella is one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque destinations.
Ella is among the top tourist destinations in Sri Lanka
One of Sri Lanka's most alluring beach hideaways and tourist destinations is the small village of Mirissa, where you may spend your days relaxing in a hammock and watching whales. As soon as you step foot in this tropical paradise, the outside world will vanish. Your list of stunning locations in Sri Lanka to visit for a wonderful vacation unquestionably needs to include Mirissa.
Since fishermen make up the majority of the population in this area, you will get a very close-up look at daily life there. To see whales and other large fish, you can even go fishing with the locals.
Jaffna and the northern islands, which were once the scene of intense fighting, have since been restored, providing an interesting glimpse of Sri Lanka that may have existed if Hinduism had prevailed earlier in the island's history. Up north, everything seems different—the singsong sound of Sinhala has been replaced by a staccato Tamil accent; the dagobas (stupas) have been replaced by vibrant Hindu temples; even the menu has been changed to point northward toward India. With new hotels and a renewed feeling of purpose, Jaffna has never looked better. Rent a bike and take a rickety ferry to an island like Neduntivu to escape the tourist crowds.
8. Secret Beach
"Secret Beach" is another beach in Sri Lanka that is considered to be among the most beautiful landscapes. Before, not many people were aware of Secret Beach. However, news spread as soon as travelers saw how beautiful this tiny beach bay was. Since then, it has grown to be one of Sri Lanka's most visited locations!
You can take a tuk-tuk or walk to Secret Beach, which is in Mirissa.
When you go to Secret Beach, you'll witness the stunning ocean and a serene bay. Because the small beach is protected by rocks, the sea is quiet and ideal for swimming. It is tranquil and shallow enough to simply lay in and unwind.
Secret Beach is one of Sri Lanka's most visited locations
Highlight list of the best Sri Lanka travel places:
- Ella – See The Charm Of The Countryside
- Nuwara Eliya – Embedded in Thick Greenery
- Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage – Check out The Giant Beasts
- Polonnaruwa – The Historic Ruins
- Adams Peak – The World Heritage Site of UNESCO
- Mirissa – Watch the whales
- Yala National Park – Among the Animals
- Colombo – Visit the crowded city
- Jaffna – Investigate The Historical Buildings
- Ulpotha – The Ayurveda Land
- Trincomalee – The Temple City
- Kandalama – The Surreal Village
- Tissamaharama – Picture Worthy Place
- Anuradhapura – See The Bodhi Tree
- Horton Plains National Park – Of Lakes And Greenery
- Sinharaja Forest Reserve – Tropical Beauty
- Udawalawe National Park – With Wild Animals
- Tawalantenne – Ideal Road Trip Location
- Arugam Bay – Pristine Beaches
- Commonwealth War Cemetery – For The Warriors
- Unawatuna Beach – Beautiful Beaches
- Sigiriya Museum – Visit The Historical Place
- Peradeniya Botanical Gardens – See The Flowers Blooming
- Dondra Lighthouse – Instagram Worthy
- Dambulla Cave Temple – Witness The Murals
- Old Dutch Fort At Galle – Picturesque Beauty
- Sigiriya Rock Fortress – The Historical Beauty
- Beira Lake – The Surreal Lake
- Temple Of The Tooth Relic – One Of A Kind Temple
- Bentota Beach – Beautiful Sunrise And Blue Waters
- National Museum Of Colombo – Know The History
- Bahiravokanda Vihara Buddha Statue – Gigantic Architecture
- Nine Arch Bridge – Ride Amidst The Greenery
- Gal Viharaya – Know The Ancient History
- Ravana Falls – Explore The Surreal Beauty
- Spice Garden – Add Some Spice To Your Vacation
- Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara – For Serenity
- Ruwanwelisaya – A Sacred Buddhist Site
- St. Anthony’s Church – Explore The Masterpiece
- International Buddhist Museum – Experience The Spirituality
- Mahiyanganaya Sorabora Lake, Uva Province – Explore The Greenery
- Dehiwala Zoo – Experience The Wilderness
- Bambarakanda Falls, Ohiya – A Treat For The Eyes
These most gorgeous locations in Sri Lanka will win your heart since they are a comprehensive package of tradition and natural beauty. A journey will be unforgettable if you visit all of these stunning locations.
- Start Your Family Holiday To Sri Lanka With Top 5 Amazing Places
- The Romance Of The Rails: A Sri Lankan Train Journey Through Time
- Top Things To Do In Galle When Traveling To Sri Lanka
- The Vibrant and Festive Poson Poya Festival in Sri Lanka
- Best Restaurants In Colombo That Every Tourist Must Visit
- Embark On An Adventure In Kandy Sri Lanka Where Enigma Awaits
- The Significance Of Sri Lanka Languages In Building A Harmonious Society
- A Complete Guide Of Ambuluwawa Tower In Sri Lanka
- Understanding Colombo's Weather Patterns: Hot or Humid?
- Tuk Tuk Adventure in Sri Lanka: Riding with the Wind
- Sri Lanka Traditional Dress: A Window into The Rich Heritage
- Dambulla Sri Lanka - Explore The Rich Cultural Heritage
- Top 6 Things To Do In Ella Sri Lanka That You Should Add To Your Trip
- Nuwara Eliya Sri Lanka - A Perfect Trip To Unwind
- Sigiriya Sri Lanka - Masterpiece Lion Fortress In The Middle Of The Jungle
- The Best Hotels In Sri Lanka Available Across All Price Ranges
- A Guide To The Best Sri Lanka Money Exchange Options For Maximizing Value
- Escape to Paradise: Your Guide to Traveling from the UK to Sri Lanka
- Uncover the Beauty of Sri Lanka: A Guide to Traveling from India
- Stay Up-to-Date: A Guide to Sri Lanka's Latest Travel Restriction
- Discover the Best Time to Visit Sri Lanka: A Guide to the Weather
- Top 5 Most Beautiful Beaches In Sri Lanka For Your Vacation
- Top 10 Tourist Attractions In Sri Lanka Worth Visiting For International Travelers
- The Most Beautiful Places In Sri Lanka For A One Day Trip
- Essential things to know before traveling to Sri Lanka
- Check Out 7 Star Hotels in Sri Lanka For Your Bucket List
- The Best Travel Guide For Sri Lanka For First-Time Tourists
- Transit visa in Sri Lanka
- Travel to Sri Lanka without PCR tests
- The best time to visit Sri Lanka
- Top 5 Best Tourist Places In Sri Lanka For Your Trip
- An old friend in Sri Lanka is missing you on Friendship day
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- Happy Pongal Day 2020
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Diwali - the festival of lights
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- SLTDA Training for Tuk Drivers and Homestay Operators in Ella
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- Top 15 famous Souvenirs and Gifts to pick in Sri Lanka (Part 1)
- 10 Sri Lankan foods that you are unable to forget – Part 2
- 300 Cheaper eVisa on Easter Day!
- 10 Sri Lankan foods are unable to forget – Part 1
- Sri Lanka at a Glance
- 10 Good Reasons to Visit Sri Lanka
- Horse Races & Carnivals in Nuwara Eliya - April 2016
- Sri Lankan Public Holidays 2016
- First Safari Park in Sri Lanka opens tomorrow
- A Would-Be Wi-Fi Paradise
- After success in Indonesia, ZEN Rooms expands to Sri Lanka and three other countries
- SL named top tourist destination for 2016