Sri Lanka visa for US citizens: Requirements and Costs
The United States of America is one of many countries whose citizens are eligible for an e-Visa to enter Sri Lanka. As an American citizen, you are not required to go to the nearest Sri Lankan embassy and apply for a visa. So, how can you apply for a Visa to Sri Lanka from the US?
This article will explain the whole process to apply for a Sri Lanka visa for US citizens, as well as the requirements and costs.
1. Sri Lanka visa for US citizens
The Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), also known as Electronic Visa (e-Visa) is the name of the official document that permits you to visit Sri Lanka used for tourism, business, or transit through any international airport or seaport.
The Americans can consider the below types of Sri Lanka ETA Visa following your trip’s aim:
- Tourist ETA: used for any casual travel and medical treatment purposes. This ETA type will give you a double-entry allowance and 30 days of stay from the date of arrival.
- Business ETA: used when you have a conference, negotiation, business meeting or any other related purposes. You can have an allowance to enter Sri Lanka more than 2 times and stay 30 days after the first entrance.
- Transit ETA: for travelers from the United States whose stay in Sri Lanka does not exceed 48 hours.
Visa to Sri Lanka from US
2. Sri Lanka visa requirements for US citizens
The requirements for the Sri Lanka e-Visa for US citizens are simple to meet. After filling in the online application form and making payment, you just need to provide a copy of your US passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in Sri Lanka and 1 blank page for stamping.
Basically, the government of Sri Lanka does not require complex documents unless you are not vaccinated enough or in some other situations. In those cases, our experts will consult you on what you need to prepare additionally. It may be a hotel booking or Sri Lanka Travel Insurance.
Please note that the supplied email address is frequently used to receive a digital result of e-Visa confirmation. Finally, your Sri Lanka ETA visa will be sent to your email address. We recommend that you print it out and keep it side by side with your passport.
In an effort to improve your Sri Lanka trip’s quality, we also supply a travel SIM, hotel booking, and many other convenient services. Contact us for more information and get amazing experiences in Sri Lanka.
We have developed an additional car pick-up service in order to provide you with the finest possible experience during your trip to Sri Lanka.
When you sign up for our ETA visa service, you will automatically sign up for a rapid car pick-up service without giving any extra information. Check out this fantastic service right now.
Sri Lanka visa requirements for US citizens
3. Sri Lanka visa for US citizens cost
At Sri Lanka Immigration Services, we have three available options to process the ETA/e-Visa. You can choose the one that fits your needs:
- Standard service: with this type, your waiting time is within 3 business days.
- Urgent service: By selecting this option, your visa application will be ready within 24 hours.
- Super urgent service: You will have the final result within 5 business hours when choosing this type.
The total cost will be determined by the type of e-Visa you require and the time frame in which you need it. Remember that both of these factors have an effect on your bill.
- Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for German citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for Swiss citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for UK citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for Canadian citizens
Sri Lanka Visa Requirements for United States of America Citizens FAQs
- Applicant's valid passport together with a copy of the American passport.
- US passport with a validity of at least 180 days (6 months) from the arrival date in Sri Lanka.
- An email address to receive the notifications of visa application
- Credit/debit card for the payment.
Remember to double-check your application form before submitting it.
An important note, while filling out the online visa application form, American customers need to ensure that the internet connection is smooth, to avoid interruption.
For urgent requests, the process of getting an e-visa will be shortened. Accordingly, you will receive an approved visa as soon as possible, helping your trip to go as planned.
- Normal visa: Get the approval visa in 3 days
- Urgent visa: Get the approval visa in 24 hours
- Super Urgent visa: Get the approval visa in 5 hours
Please note, the faster your visa processing time, the higher your service fee will be.
Yes. All tourists who travel to Sri Lanka, including children and babies, need a valid passport and visa. However, children under the age of 12 are exempt from the visa to Sri Lanka processing fee.
With our online application form, US candidates can apply for the whole family at once (up to 15 applicants). This is done by submitting a group application, for which only a single application form needs to be filled in.
A group application can help applicants save time, because certain data, such as contact and travel details, only have to be filled in once, and only a single total payment is made.
After filling in the form and finishing the payment, the application will be processed right away.
On average, the Sri Lanka visa is approved and sent to the email address of the applicants within 3 days. This is an electronic visa (ETA Sri Lanka) which is issued digitally. Therefore, we recommend that you print out the visa form and bring it with you when you go through immigration.
All you need to do is fill in the required information and wait for the results to be sent to the email (which you used to register) within 30 minutes.
Use the Reference Number present on the invoice/receipt issued along with your last name to access this service.
Depending on the type of Sri Lanka e-visa a US citizen holds, the length of stay and the number of entries will vary:
- With a Sri Lanka tourist visa, American passport holders can stay in Sri Lanka for up to 30 days in total. This is a double-entry visa, thus US citizens can enter the country twice within the validity period of their visa.
- With a Sri Lanka business visa, US citizens can stay in Sri Lanka for up to 30 days in total with a single-entry visa.
- With a Sri Lanka transit visa, US green card holders can stay a maximum of 48 hours (2 days).
Yes. For US visitors, who wish to stay more than 30 days in Sri Lanka, it is possible to extend the visa up to a maximum of 90 days after arrival in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka visa extensions can be applied at the Department of Immigration and Emigration in Battaramulla, Colombo. US foreign nationals seeking an extension of their tourist ETA should apply for extensions before the expiry of the ETA.